OK, I had forgotten how slow it really used to be when I had my first 400 baud dial up modems and couldn't wait for the 1200 baud models to come out. I feel like I am back in those days again.
I moved down to Butare the day before yesterday, on Friday with half my gear, and the other half came down yesterday afternoon, so I have spent the days getting oriented and settled in. I did tour the hospital and made rounds with my roommate, Sagar, an Internist from Harvard. He found a really nice 3 bedroom house with nice kitchen and very nice gardens. (I have been looking at pictures from the webcams up on Teton Pass and wondering why Lisa isn't here yet but she gets to go to Guatemala again for her clinics in Feb.)
I won't try to post any pictures at this point as the internet is so slow. Getting email takes so long that I forget what I am doing, go do something else and come back again, then forget where I was. My iPad works better than my computer with it's USB stick modem so that is what I mostly work on. Supposedly, there is high speed wifi internet up at the medical school but I will have to wait until tomorrow to check that out.
I will try to post this and see how it works and see if I can't d more later.
Love to all at home,
Jim Little
Oh my gosh, you're in Rwanda! I thought that the Rwanda opportunity didn't come through. I'm so excited for you. I just came back from Ghana from the first African Conference on Emergency Medicine last week and met a few folks from Rwanda. I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear more about it.
ReplyDeleteWow, speedy internet indeed! Jill, Lee, and I finished a Halong Bay trip, and have been really enjoying the Hanoi traffic. On our way to Sapa as I write this, thanks for the Vietnam tips. Keeps those cards and letters coming, with or without pictures!
ReplyDelete